BRIGHT.LIFE

My Bow Tie Brights Christmas Tree For Sofa.com

traditional-red-white-christmas-treechristmas-tree-decorating-tips

papier-mache-christmas-tree-baubles-trimred-white-christmas-tree-decorating-ideasstylish-christmas-tree-inspirationhow-to-top-a-christmas-treebow-tie-christmas-holiday-tree-topperchristmas-tree-decorating-ideaschristmas-tree-paper-star-garlandbow-tie-wrapping-ideasbow-tie-christmas-gift-box

December is one of my favourite times of year because I love the festive buzz that’s in the air; London is alive with twinkling lights and beautiful store windows. Even when I was a child I remember the excitement I felt in the lead up to decorating our tree. We would head down to the local tree farm and then spend the afternoon decorating the tree together – I loved it. So I was delighted when Sofa.com invited me to their Chelsea showroom in London to bring some Bright.Bazaar festivities to their HQ – all to be filmed in a super fun stop motion video.

I decided to decorate the tree with a traditional red and white theme but with a bow tie brights twist as a nod to my love of the bow tie. My talented friend Perri made the super-sized bow tie topper (if you love craft you should check out Perri’s book), which was the perfect finishing touch that completed the bow tie theme. Amongst the smattering of candy cane bow ties I worked in several handmade paper star garlands which were ethically produced using block print techniques by communities of women in the Kathmandu Valleys of Nepal; I love their understated yet ever so festive style. The hand painted detailing on these papier mache baubles gave the tree a unique and cosy charm. With the core decorations on the tree I was able to stand back and then fill any gaps with hanging bells for a final festive touch. And don’t get me started on the candy cane and bow tie stripe gift boxes – it was love at first sight! What do you think of my bow tie brights theme, folks? I’d love to hear what festive decorating themes you have chosen this year?

// Photography by Will Taylor | Video by NutFilms

• Reply Lucy December 6, 2013 at 12:53 am

This is so perfectly preppy! Yes, I love it! I love bow ties and I love large check gingham. I’m getting ready to use the same pattern on some fabric for my dining room makeover. Gorgeous!

Off topic, I read that when Matt Smith said bow ties are cool on Dr. Who, sales for bow ties went through the roof. I’ve always loved them.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar December 6, 2013 at 5:51 am

@Lucy – I’ll take ‘perfectly preppy’, thank you! Love the sound of your dining room makeover, too.

• Reply Andi December 6, 2013 at 2:27 am

I loooove your tree!

• Reply Nicki @ Eat Sleep Breathe Color December 6, 2013 at 4:06 am

What a clever and original theme! And so YOU! I love it. The star garland is my favorite part.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar December 6, 2013 at 5:54 am

@Nicki – Thank you so much! I was thrilled with how it came together and I think the gang at sofa.com loved it, too! Those star garlands are even more beautiful in real life!

• Reply tim@designmaze December 6, 2013 at 5:56 am

how fun is that!! Love the candy cane palette for a classic look + of course your signature bow tie twist for a whole lot of fun! Love that organic look of the star garlands (are they made out of felt?) and the bow ties look just so much fun along with the handcrafted ornaments!

Fab job Mr!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar December 6, 2013 at 6:10 am

@Tim – Yay, so pleased you like it! The star garland stars are made from paper – stunning.

• Reply Emelie @florainspiro December 6, 2013 at 5:58 am

Omg a bow tie tree! What could be more mr Bazaar ;) Love it! I might go for that look on my Christmas gifts this year ;) Have a nice weekend! xx

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar December 6, 2013 at 6:12 am

@Emeile – That sounds like an excellent idea; the more bow ties the better! :)

• Reply Serena December 6, 2013 at 9:05 am

Bowties forever!!!!!!! I love them so much, like you ^_^
    Serena

• Reply Yvestown December 6, 2013 at 9:26 am

Oh Will, can you come whiz around my house? Love the bow ties!!

• Reply susan December 6, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Very fun + festive Will! (I love your accent so much)

• Reply Eleni | My Paradissi December 6, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Hehe, Mr. Bazaar has turned into a tree o.O
    So beautiful Will, love the horizontal axes the white stars garlands create!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar December 6, 2013 at 1:08 pm

@Eleni – Mr. Bazaar has manifested as a Christmas tree, literally! ;)

• Reply Louisa Blackmore December 6, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Hi Will, love the video – it makes me feel like rushing around and getting loads of stuff done! Loving the bow ties, definitely need to get one for the little pug – you’ve inspired me! See you soon lovely, xx

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar December 6, 2013 at 2:15 pm

@Louisa – Alfie would look so cute in a bow tie! So pleased you liked the video x

• Reply Nina Holst // STYLIZIMO December 6, 2013 at 2:46 pm

HOW FUN! IT TURNED IT BEAUTIFUL, AND I TOTALLY LOVE THE BOW TIE :)

SENDING OVER A CHRISTMAS HUG AND WISH YOU A HAPPY WEEKEND!

XO
    NINA

• Reply Sarah LoCascio December 6, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Super cute!! Love the traditional red and white, and how simple yet eye-catching it turned out. The bow-ties are adorable. Lovely!

• Reply Audrey - This Little Street December 6, 2013 at 10:33 pm

Bows always bows forever ;) Happy weekend Will!

• Reply geraldine@littlebigbell December 7, 2013 at 1:26 am

Wow! is all I can say. All the hard work paid off. Beautiful, elegant and so cool. Love the Bow tie decorations. xx

• Reply mel December 7, 2013 at 3:32 am

Will that is a super duper tree. So gorgeous with the Bright Bazaar bow tie touch. We’ll be decorating our tree this weekend, the kids will be beside themselves… Have a great weekend. M x

• Reply tim@designmaze December 8, 2013 at 2:21 am

from paper? I so thought that was fabric! fun!!

• Reply Helen December 11, 2013 at 12:02 am

Matching bow ties!! So cute!

• Reply Denise December 17, 2013 at 7:37 pm

I love the fresh simplicity of this tree!

• Reply domestikate December 18, 2013 at 9:09 am

Oh it’s so cute! Love it!

• Reply FunkySteph December 18, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Beautiful. I love the classic red and white theme…

• Reply claudia December 23, 2013 at 4:56 pm