First Look Inside West Elm’s New London Store

Yesterday I grabbed my camera and headed down to Tottenham Court Road to explore the new West Elm store in London ahead of the grand opening on Thursday this week. There was a tangible buzz about the shop as everyone muddled in together to help get everything ready on time, and it was fascinating to see the visual team hard at work creating such inspiring and creative displays.

I walked the store with West Elm’s Creative Director, Vanessa Holden, who talked me through the various sections of the store. The store is split over two levels and includes an extensive bedding and furniture area on the lower floor, including a sizeable Design Lab area which will include a free home stylist service; I believe decorators and shoppers alike will love this spacious, hands-on area of the store. I’ve always felt that West Elm get their visual merchandising spot on but this in store experience really does feel like something new and exciting for the London interiors market. From industrial to mid century or decorator to rustic the store successfully manages to display an array of different interior styles with aplomb; everything hangs together with visual ease thanks to the signature West Elm touches throughout.

As you enter the store upstairs you will find an enchanting Christmas story with lashings of mercury glass and shimmering metallics. Plus, there’s a collaborations area that includes a knockout sofa by James Harrison. This flows through into the ‘loft’ space in the middle of the store which will continually evolve with new product lines and inspiring apartment-like displays. At the back of the store there’s a standalone West Elm Market which includes a coffee shop, community work tables and super friendly baristas. I even tried my hand at coffee making (probably best if we gloss over that last part because I had varying degrees of success…!).

I have really enjoyed collaborating with West Elm over the past few years (here and here) so it was great meet so many of their talented team members yesterday and see their creative work coming alive in real time. It will be great to see shoppers reactions to our gallery wall collaboration with Etsy artists once it’s finished in time for the opening. I’d love to know what you love about West Elm and what you’re excited to see/shop from the new London store? Also, if you have any questions I’ll be holding a Twitter chat with Vanessa Holden at 1pm tomorrow. In the meantime: a big, bright and brilliant Bright.Bazaar welcome to London, West Elm!

// Photography by Will Taylor

• Reply Azu December 4, 2013 at 5:04 am

It looks fantastic! I love the decor. Those Christmas dishes are adorable :)

xo Azu

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar December 4, 2013 at 8:10 am

@Azu – It feels like an Aladdin’s Cave in the Christmas decorations area because of all the sparkling and shimmering mercury glass. Yes, those plates are darling!

• Reply JUles December 4, 2013 at 8:04 am

West Elm Market in Vancouver is the best, you are going to LOVE having them in the city!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar December 4, 2013 at 8:11 am

@Jules – I bet it’s amazing in Vancouver (another excuse to visit!). I still can’t believe we have the store in London – yay!

• Reply Sophie December 4, 2013 at 8:07 am

Your pictures are incredible, Mr. B! I’m going to be on the look out for the festive animal plates. Thanks for the look inside!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar December 4, 2013 at 8:12 am

@Sophie – Thank you! I believe there are four designs of that plate so you can get a full set if you like! x

• Reply TIm December 4, 2013 at 8:08 am

I’m going to book a trip to London to see this. That coffee looks spot on.

• Reply Anya December 4, 2013 at 8:23 am

Looks awesome – can’t wait to see it when I’m over for Xmas :-)

• Reply Emelie @florainspiro December 4, 2013 at 9:40 am

Everything is looking so good! W.E is on the list for my next London trip! ;) xx

• Reply Lola Donoghue art December 4, 2013 at 10:08 am

Oh Wow, it looks AMAZING. Your photos are class, thanks for sharing them with us!

• Reply Rebecca December 4, 2013 at 10:41 am

lovely! I am really looking forward to seeing the new store next week! The coffee area sounds wonderful! And yes, the mercury glass in the Christmas area, I would like one of each please. xoxo

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar December 4, 2013 at 11:44 am

@Rebecca – The West Elm Market coffee shop is my favourite part of the store!

• Reply Serena December 4, 2013 at 10:42 am

It’ is all amazing! How wonderful if I could be there… maybe with you to help me to choose xmas gift! )
    I adore animal plates!

• Reply William Herbig December 4, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Where do I get those cute espresso paper cups?

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar December 4, 2013 at 2:32 pm

@William – You can get those from West Elm Market when you buy a coffee!

• Reply Interior design ideas December 4, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Well it is all coming along beautifully. So much to be thankful for. Love that the new style with presentation.

• Reply LatteLisa December 4, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Thank you Will for the visual tour. It looks really wonderful, and let me just add that I love love love the coffee shop. How cute are the cups?

Need to buy a train ticket to London a.s.a.p., but probably won’t make it before Christmas.

• Reply melissa blake December 4, 2013 at 11:18 pm

Everything is so pretty…thanks for posting!!

• Reply Alison December 5, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Oohhh it all looks wonderful!

• Reply domestikate December 18, 2013 at 9:12 am

Wow it looks amazing! Can’t wait for them to come to Edinburgh!