Inside Jamie Oliver’s Colourful New Trattoria

jamies-trattoriajamie-olivers-trattoriajamie-olivers-trattoria-londonjamies-trattoria-london-restaurantjamie-oliver-italianjamie-olivers-new-trattoriajamie-olivers-trattoria-get-the-look

// Market Picks: Fig. 1 | Fig.2 | Fig.3 | Fig.4 | Fig.5 | Fig.6 | Fig.7

Jamie Oliver’s restaurant designs always hit the winning spot in Mr. Bazaar’s book. In fact I’ve blogged about the vibrant Union Jacks restaurant design and one of his industrial Italian locations in the past. You can certainly feel an industrial edge filtering through from the Italian brand of restaurants into this new Trattoria outlet, which is designed to be a smaller and more intimate dining experience. Blacksheep, the company who designed the interior, were not tasked with a specific design approach but were told that it should reflect a local independent feel. Mnay of the fittings were reclaimed with doors from a salvage yard in Dorset, tiles from a local church and booths made from scaffolding planks. All of these elements have contributed to the rustic-industrial feel of the space, which also features rich colour layered throughout. I really like how there are different types of seating options as part of the design. I often feel like popping into a restaurant just for a coffee or quick sweet but when there are only formally dressed tables available it doesn’t feel like the right dining atmosphere. Here they have an informal, almost lounge-like area at the front for casual dining and coffees, as well as more formal tables with cosy button tufted banquet booths for longer meals. Another huge plus point for me is the considered lighting options: dining under bright lights is one of my pet hates! What makes for great restaurant design in your book, folks?

// Interior design by Blacksheep

• Reply Lily | Birch+Bird November 8, 2013 at 4:58 am

Oh my, this is amazing!!! Love all of the vintage + imperfect touches + mismatched seating…so great! I’m seriously obsessed with that emerald settee from West Elm too…it belongs in my house!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar November 8, 2013 at 7:23 am

@lily – It’s perfectly eclectic, isn’t it! I love that couch, too.

• Reply JANE November 8, 2013 at 7:41 am

The rustic wood panelling is beautiful.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar November 8, 2013 at 7:44 am

@Jane – The worn paint on each panel helps to give the rustic look a colourful edge, doesn’t it. So lovely!

• Reply SUZ November 8, 2013 at 7:43 am

I like how they the design merges together a series of different styles and atmospheres. The wallpaper you picked to get the look is almost an exact match to the wooden panels!!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar November 8, 2013 at 7:45 am

@Suz – It’s nice how some areas feel more casual and cosy, almost residential, vs. the more traditional restaurant areas.

• Reply Siobhan November 8, 2013 at 9:29 am

Love it!

• Reply Alison November 8, 2013 at 11:46 am

I love this! It has a wonderful bohemian arty feel about it. I am in love with those industrial red chairs.
    x

• Reply Trisha November 8, 2013 at 11:52 am

Looks fantabulous. would love to pop in for dinner! mmmm

• Reply anya November 8, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Hey Will, it looks awesome – reminds me of the decor in Leon, only an upmarket version:) Is this in London??
    Happy weekend my friend,
    Ax

• Reply susan November 8, 2013 at 4:47 pm

So warm + inviting…love it!

• Reply Nova @ 18 Chelsea mews November 8, 2013 at 11:03 pm

Love this post Will! I did a similar post 2 weeks ago about Dane’s Yard Kitchen near the Olympic Village; it’s lovely there. I really like the industrial design kitchen, too bad it wouldn’t work well in my apartment.

• Reply tim@designmaze November 9, 2013 at 3:35 am

I love JO!! Just saw his collection at the Bay today and may just have to pick up a set for Chris’ house warming! Cookware for the chef … guess I am the one who’s really benefiting :)

Love the causal and edgy look of his restaurant. shots of color, tufted bench, reclaimed wood boards (something I want to do at Chris’ home), and hello to that wall of old cabinet door! Exposed ceiling is fun too … naked chef right?

Have a fun weekend friend!

• Reply Rebecca Portsmouth November 9, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Looks fab! Thanks for explaining where it is too in the comments – so I can find it :)

• Reply Claudia - DesignClaud November 11, 2013 at 2:40 am

Ah such a lovely place! I love all the furniture and the vintage touches! Beautiful!

• Reply Vic @ cush & nooks November 11, 2013 at 6:51 am

Love it! This is one of the coolest restaurants I’ve seen in a long time. This is exactly my type of restaurant – relaxed, friendly, and inviting. x