BRIGHT.LIFE

Bright.Bakes: Mini Mince Pies & Minted Cards

mini-mince-pie-recipemini-mince-pie-ingredients-listhow-to-make-mini-mince-piesmini-mince-pie-how-to-makemaking-mini-mince-piesmini-christmas-mince-pieshow-to-make-mini-christmas-mince-piesquick-and-easy-mince-pie-recipequick-mince-pie-recipeminted-gold-foil-christmas-holiday-cardsgold-foil-minted-holiday-cards

First of all I hope all my friends and readers in North America had a wonderful Thanksgiving celebration yesterday; it was so fun to see all your festivities via Instagram over here in London. If you are taking time to relax this weekend or looking towards Christmas and holiday celebrations then today’s Bright.Bakes recipe should be ideal. This is such a busy time of year so I always cheat when I make these delicious and oh-so-festive mini mince pies by using ready-made pastry and mincemeat (Shhh! Don’t tell my mum!). Here’s how to make quick and easy mini mince pies:

1. Preheat oven to 180°C/400°F/Gas 6 and have a cupcake tin greased and ready.
2. If you like to make your own pastry then you could use this shortcrust pastry recipe, otherwise a 500g pack of readymade shortcrust pastry can be used to save time.
3. Use a cookie cutter to make discs to fit the rounds of your cupcake tin and then use the trimmings to cut out star shapes to top each mini mince pie.
4. Place the pastry discs into the cupcake tin and then spoon in 1 tsp. of mincemeat in each and top with star shape. Finally, brush each star topper with a little cold water.
5. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Once cooled, sprinkle with caster sugar.

I get just as much enjoyment from styling and photographing my Bright.Bakes series as I do actually baking the recipes for the posts. In fact, I felt so inspired after shooting these mini Christmas mince pies that I decided to use two of the pictures for my Christmas cards this year. I discovered that Minted have some really cool designs by independent artists that they let you upload your own pictures to and customise the text. Plus, get this, some of Minted’s holiday card designs come with fancy pants gold foil detailing! Don’t you think that the subtle and stylish gold foil type in my card design works perfectly with the festive food shot? I love how they came out! What are your favourite festive bakes, friends? Do you ever send personalised cards like this? I’d love to hear your seasonal ideas. Have a wonderful weekend and if you make these mini mince pies, please do tag Bright.Bazaar on Instagram as I would be so thrilled to see them!

// Photography by Will Taylor

• Reply Leora November 29, 2013 at 12:35 am

Those little pies sure look yummy!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar November 29, 2013 at 7:57 am

@Leora – Tee hee! I have to admit that they are dangerously moorish!

• Reply MARIANNE.CROSS@SHAW.CA November 29, 2013 at 2:43 am

Wonderful pictures, Will! The bowls are beautiful and the mini-pies are mouthwatering. I thoroughly enjoy all your postings.

(PS: If I may: Of the three main countries making up North America, only the USA celebrates Thanksgiving today in November; Canada’s Thanksgiving Day is celebrated on the second Monday of October and Mexico doesn’t have an official Thanksgiving Day but they do give thanks on some of their religious days. The USA has a different history from Canada and Mexico therefore some of the traditions (and spelling) are different.)

Happy Thanksgiving to our wonderful American neighbours, wherever you may be celebrating!

Best wishes,
    -Marianne

• Reply Toni @ skandivis November 29, 2013 at 6:29 am

Gorgeous post Will! I might just try to connect with my inner domestic goddess and crack on with some baking this weekend! Toni x

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar November 29, 2013 at 7:56 am

@Toni – Thanks, lovely! These are ideal for a quick weekend bake because they are super quick and simple! x

• Reply Emelie @florainspiro November 29, 2013 at 8:06 am

Your mince pies are looking just delicious! I’m getting hungry here 😉 I’ve never made mince pies but these are too cute not to try! Have a nice weekend xx

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar November 29, 2013 at 8:18 am

@Emelie – You have to try them, they are so quick and easy to make – not to mention very tasty, too! 😉

• Reply Andrew Dunning November 29, 2013 at 9:00 am

You have to make your own pasty WIll 🙂 A super tip is to add a small amount of orange juice and some orange zest to the pastry, adds a nice citrus edge to go with the fruit. If you do have leftovers though I’m always available to taste test xx

• Reply caroline @trend-daily November 29, 2013 at 1:34 pm

How fabulous is your food photography MrB!! Such a lovely post and those Minted cards are gorgeous-better get my skates on… I think you must get over here in the New Year and do a little something in my kitchen-come see ;-). Meanwhile, so looking forward to our freelance xmas do in Marlow!! xx

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar November 29, 2013 at 1:35 pm

@Caroline – That would be so much fun, Caroline! Thanks for the kind words and roll on festive fun times! x

• Reply susan November 29, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Love it–I’ll be sharing my gold foil Minted cards soon as well! You know how much I LOVE gold foil!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar November 29, 2013 at 2:53 pm

@Susan – I can’t wait to see your cards, Susan, I know they will be FAB!

• Reply mel November 30, 2013 at 12:32 am

Will these look fantastic! I like the idea of cheating a little, we need to cut corners now and then… and especially now! I’ve never made mince pies but always tend to do vanilla sugar cookies and give them to the neighbors… M xx

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar November 30, 2013 at 9:04 am

@Mel – That sounds like a lovely gesture; I need to try making those! x

• Reply tim@designmaze November 30, 2013 at 4:36 am

fab and delicious Will! I love the card and isn’t Minted amazing? Great shot and styling of course and just brilliant to turn it into an amazing card!

• Reply She November 30, 2013 at 7:56 pm

These are fabulous, it isn’t Christmas until you had mince pies.

• Reply MyFarmLifediary December 13, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Do you have a link to a recipe for the mincemeat? Living in South Africa has its bonuses but one downside is that we don’t have products like ready mincemeat on the shelves – no shortcuts for us I’m afraid…