Palette Addict: Painted Floor Decorating Idea

painted-floor-swedish-entryway-green-interior-design

The moment I set eyes on the entryway featured in today’s Palette Addict post I knew it was perfect for Bright.Bazaar. This is a fine example of a simple yet creative idea for decorating with colour and the boldly painted floor for an entryway or boot room makes total sense. This scheme works because it strikes a stylish balance by pairing a strong and vivid green for the painted floorboards with a monochromatic palette there up on the walls and furniture. By keeping the main introduction of hue to the floor only it gives it added emphasis in the scheme; just a few small splashes of the green are needed elsewhere in the space to punctuate the black and white palette. In this example the floorboards create a natural pattern which works well to soften the block addition of such a strong shade.

I’m keen to replicate this look in my own apartment. A new floor is an ideal way to create a stylish and dramatic statement in a space because it covers such a large surface area of the ‘decorating’ real estate of a room. There are some stylish options on Factory Direct Laminate Flooring that have caught my eye. With this approach it’s important to use your flooring choice and colour to create a versatile base palette that will complement and anchor the other elements of the scheme. Have you ever painted a floor in a hot hue? What colour would you choose if you were to paint a floor in your home?

// Photography by Karin Foberg for Hus & Hem

• Reply POL October 24, 2013 at 7:50 am

This is such a fun idea for a mud room!! Bright pink could also be a good option.

• Reply JULES October 24, 2013 at 7:51 am

If only my entryway was this organized! Need inspiration to get mine into shape and now might have to paint the floor as well!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 24, 2013 at 7:53 am

@Jules – Let me know if you decide to emulate this look; I’d love to see how it turns out!

• Reply gudy herder October 24, 2013 at 9:02 am

I have started seeing wooden panels in different colors too but my favorites so far were painted in different shades of blue. Interesting to observe the white flooring is evolving. xx

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 24, 2013 at 9:05 am

@Gudy – I agree. I do love white floors but I think it’s fun to see some variations emerging for occasional rooms/spaces. x

• Reply italianbark October 24, 2013 at 9:10 am

Lovely idea to paint a wooden floor in bright colours!!I would use this solution in small rooms like entries and hallways to give them an unexpected look…

• Reply Sarah @ Mocha October 24, 2013 at 9:44 am

That bright green is great! It gives the hallways such a fresh look. And it works very well with the monochrome scheme.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 24, 2013 at 9:46 am

@Sarah – I agree, black and green are such a great combo – I have it in my flat! :)

• Reply Mel October 24, 2013 at 10:49 am

Very cute and very Mr Bazaar indeed! While I love to look at in someone else’s home, I probably wouldn’t go so bright in mine – perhaps a more muted grey blue… I do like painted floors though… M x

• Reply Emelie @florainspiro October 24, 2013 at 12:08 pm

I’ve never painted a floor or even seen a colourful floor like this “live”. But I will definitley give it a try in my future house/owned appartment! Whenever that might be ;) Maybe something blueish…

• Reply Rhiannon October 24, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Love this one ! That shade of green is a favourite. Not sure if I would choose it for a bedroom floor though. I have never painted in such a vibrant colour – always more muted slatey bluey types of shades – but am tempted to have a go. My next floors will be white , inspired by , amongst others Yvestown Yvonne.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 24, 2013 at 1:11 pm

@Rhiannon – Your floors sound very lovely! White floors are fab, too. In our rented apartment we swapped the brown carpet in two of the rooms for white floorboards and they really help to make the subsequent layered colours POP!

• Reply Toni @ Skandivis October 24, 2013 at 3:39 pm

I love painted floors! My stairs at home are painted jet black which I love, but do think they would look fab in a a bright colour too… just not brave enough! xx

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 24, 2013 at 3:43 pm

@Toni – Jet black stairs? They sound FANTASTIC! It beats the standard beige carpet we see in so many British home, hands down! x

• Reply Alison October 24, 2013 at 5:18 pm

This is such a fun, family friendly room.
    (OOohh say that after a few cocktails!)
    Love it.
    x

• Reply Alecai October 24, 2013 at 7:12 pm

I have never painted a floor before – I have always rented. But one day when I own my home I would love to do this. I am thinking maybe a black or white floor (sorry it isn’t as exciting as a vibrant green)….I just would be afraid I would get tired of the color too fast. – so sticking to a more neutral color would be the answer for me personally.

Have a great day Will!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 24, 2013 at 7:21 pm

@Alecai – A black or white floor is always going to beat beige carpet so I’m all for it! Sounds fab :)