John Lewis: Three A/W13 Interior Design Trends

john-lewis-bedsLast week I looked at one of the first Colour of the Year announcements for 2014, but today we’re sticking to the here and now by looking at what’s hot in interior design trends this fall season. John Lewis are focusing on a series of looks for their autumn/winter 2013 collections and I’m sharing three that I feel resonate the strongest with what I’m seeing elsewhere on the market right now.john-lewis-armchairsjohn-lewis-furnitureindustrial-dining-room-interior-designblue-dining-room-decor-interior-designThe first is called Modern Restoration, a look that centres around the ever-popular industrial style. However, rather than heading down the now somewhat over-exposed look of subway tiles and utilitarian lighting, the brand have put a refreshed spin on the trend. By mixing in a softer edge to the scheme with heritage pieces and a touch of glam through metallic copper accents, this take on industrial feels more liveable and accessible compared to seasons past. A palette of sage, gunmetal, greys and deep blues are paired with textures both rough and smooth to provide visual interest.
john-lewis-eames-dining-chairsstaircase-runner-decor-ideayellow-interior-designblackboard-wall-DIY-ideamedina-tableware-john-lewisEasy Eclectic is the second trend from John Lewis and thanks to a brighter palette it feels inherently more playful in nature. Much loved and recognised designs feature throughout (including cheerfully colourful Tolix and Eames chairs) while eclectically patterned tableware and textiles in an array of bold brights bring added charm to the look. This trend is about embracing colour and putting it front and forward in the home: all over coloured walls are tempered with soothing neutrals while all-white spaces are encouraged to zing with colour block brights, such as a statement orange staircase runner.country-interiors-john-lewisjohn-lewis-tableware-ceramics-mugs-platescountry-interior-design-ideasjohn-lewis-bedding-range

The final interior design trend is cool country and it sees the most classic details of all three looks. Although the palette is muted there’s still plenty of hue on show: soft, powdery blues that are set to take the spotlight in 2014 and muddied yellow sit comfortably alongside heritage greys and neutrals. Rustic textures are paired with cosy textiles with traditional and modern patterns are clashed together for a new take on this tried and tested look.

Which of the three interior design trends resonates most strongly with your aesthetic, friends?

// Photography by John Lewis

• Reply SUZ October 22, 2013 at 7:54 am

Number two for me as that orange staircase is perfect. Great post!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 22, 2013 at 7:59 am

@Suz – I know, right? How could you not smile each time you saw that cheerful staircase? I love it! x

• Reply TIM October 22, 2013 at 7:56 am

We have a similar scheme to modern restoration in the cottage so I have to pick that one but the country tableware shot is really great as well.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 22, 2013 at 7:59 am

@Tim – I’d love to see some snaps inside your cottage because the modern restoration look is so stylish!

• Reply POLLY October 22, 2013 at 7:57 am

I have my eye on the chest with the pick and mix hardware….

• Reply Anya October 22, 2013 at 9:01 am

WOW John Lewis is cool – loving the modern restoration look, but could honestly buy pieces from all 3. Fab selection Will, and I do love how you write πŸ™‚ Axx

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 22, 2013 at 9:07 am

@Anya – I feel like they made a great collection that allows you to easily mix and match across the looks; it’s good that they’re not too set. Thank you for the kind words! x

• Reply nIk October 22, 2013 at 9:18 am

Has to be No.1 for me – loving those natural greys and blues! John Lewis are impressing me a lot lately – they seem to be quite forward thinking for a chain, although still not a fan of the ‘new but made to look old’ trend that is around.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 22, 2013 at 9:19 am

@John Lewis – I agree, out of all the department stores they definitely offer the strongest homeware collection.

• Reply Igor October 22, 2013 at 11:12 am

I think no. 1 and 2 would be my preferencies, I like both, the calming blue hues of no. 1 and the somewhat more eclectic and colourful expression of no. 2.

• Reply Katy October 22, 2013 at 2:49 pm

I like no. 1 best. Great colours and textures combined together x

• Reply Alecia October 22, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Loving the easy eclectic! I love mixing old and new finds – it is a fun treasure hunt for me. And I love a good pop of color in my house.

• Reply Matthew Pike October 22, 2013 at 5:29 pm

I love Modern Restoration best, it’s so rich and cosy yet industrial at the same time.

• Reply Kimberly Hughes October 22, 2013 at 6:49 pm

Gotta be the Easy Eclectic – that tableware is stunning! Reminds me a bit of Anthro’s offerings! πŸ™‚ x

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 22, 2013 at 6:53 pm

@Kimberly – Great choice. Yes, the Medina tableware range does feel close in style to a few of Anthropologie’s ranges, doesn’t it! x

• Reply Galina October 22, 2013 at 8:51 pm

A deep blue and yellow combination catch my eye.
    Good post!

• Reply Eloise villiers October 22, 2013 at 9:13 pm

I must say number one for me! Modern restoration with industrial style.

• Reply chichi furniture October 24, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Really enjoyed this post. The trendy me says style 1, but I think the one that most suits my style is 3, the country look. I find this look with the mellow hues and warm rustic tones the most welcoming and warm. But, that said I love the first pic with the unfinished rough textured wall against the stunning light fitting and choice pops of colour, not sure my inner OCD could leave the wall forever unfinished though!!

• Reply Old New House October 24, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Awesome examples, great emphasis with strong colors without being overboard. Thank you for sharing!

• Reply Crisit grimes October 30, 2013 at 2:43 pm

This is a cool blog! I really like your designs and the colors of it. Keepon posting.

• Reply Maya November 18, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Industrial with a feminine twist is beautiful, the colours are so 2013 and the mismatched drawer handles are a stroke of pure genius. Reminds me of an amazing New York loft I saw featured elesewhere recently. Pinning and reblogging as I type.

• Reply Trevor April 29, 2016 at 7:09 am

Simply gorgeous! Love that sofa chair by the fireplace! Love the colours!

• Reply Oranje boven! Ook in je interieur - Meubeltrack blog April 26, 2017 at 6:30 am

[…] Beeld: 1. sfgirlbybayΒ // Β 2. pinterestΒ // Β 3. effortless-styleΒ // Β 4. brightbazaarblogΒ // […]