Colour Palette: Multi-coloured Kitchen Brights

kitchen-colour-ideas

I find that I spend a lot of time in my kitchen, especially when I’m enjoying some downtime. There’s something comforting and therapeutic to me about taking time to create a meal from scratch, seeing it come together and cooking at leisure while catching up with a friend or loved one across the other side of the counter. More and more regularly I find myself feeling inspired by open shelves – I think it’s the relaxed country-style vibe they evoke that takes me back to childhood days in the kitchen with my mum. In fact, the family kitchen looked very similar to this light, bright and colourful space packed full of vibrant Rice cookware and serveware. (Did you catch my review of their new book a few weeks ago?) Much like the space seen here, our kitchen had a sunken farmhouse sink in front of a window overlooking the garden and a n island unit stacked full of kitchenalia that my parents had gathered over the years. I love how this kitchen plays on a multi-coloured palette by creating an eclectic look with various shades from a core palette of three hues. What do you like about this cheerful kitchen? Is the kitchen an important part of your home?

// Photography by Rice

• Reply susan March 12, 2013 at 12:45 am

So fun-I love the open shelving in this kitchen, which is how we store our dishes as well. It creates a relaxing vibe!

• Reply tim@designmaze March 12, 2013 at 2:29 am

gorgeous, refreshing kitchen. It is so cozy and inviting, and that nothing is too precious in this kitchen that’s off-limit. This is the kitchen Chris would love and I am definitely voting for that sink, the open shelves, and the robin’s egg blue island!

• Reply Chantelle March 12, 2013 at 6:21 am

This kitchen is so gorgeous. I love how they used the three hues, like you mentioned. It’s so fun to have the island a different color from the cabinets!

• Reply Sue at Boutique Provencale March 12, 2013 at 7:50 am

This looks so pretty. I’m a great believer in using functional items like plates and bowls as decoration. Particularly when they’re in pretty colours or in fabulous patterns.

• Reply Baumhausfee March 12, 2013 at 8:08 am

I love this kitchen. Rice is such a great label (and i am also in love with the bloomingville light above the shelves)

best wishes
    die Baumhausfee

• Reply vanessa March 12, 2013 at 8:49 am

Wow! This is so fun! I love all the bright colors. My kitchen stuff is a mix of what people gave us when we moved in. But not that colorful.

I just found your blog. I love the design. So friendly and fun πŸ™‚

• Reply Lizzie Owen (@mim_tweeta) March 12, 2013 at 9:14 am

this kitchen is just gorgeous, I would love to spend time in here putting the world to rights while someone cooks for me – I normally test the wine while the food is being prepared…you know, just to make sure it’s all ok. πŸ˜‰

• Reply Anya March 12, 2013 at 9:15 am

Hi Will, loving the colours, just what we need it is positively freezing here. Had such a great time meeting you Saturday. I have a great shot of you, will post it soon:) Happy Tuesday and speak soon,
    Axx

• Reply We Heart Home March 12, 2013 at 9:26 am

Come on SPRING! That’s what my brain is shouting as I look at this happy image πŸ™‚

Actually, the kitchen is not as important in my home as the nook where the dining/work table is. In fact, we sit at the table even more than we hang out on the couch… And as far as open shelving, I learned from my previous place that I definitely don’t have the discipline to maintain something like that πŸ˜‰ But it’s nice to look here and imagine!

Xx. Holly.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar March 12, 2013 at 9:28 am

@Holly – I think it’s an art in itself to be able to keep open shelves looking stylish, tidy and natural all at the same time! x

• Reply Leslie-Anne March 12, 2013 at 10:10 am

This kitchen is perfection!

• Reply mikey F. March 12, 2013 at 11:20 am

Maybe it’s time to let colour into my kitchen!
    Love it.

• Reply Magda March 12, 2013 at 3:07 pm

I really like the concept of open shelving. My favorite version is this: closed cupboards so you can hide less pretty stuff + few shelves for nice displays, just like in the picture. As a matter of fact, I am renovating my kitchen in our rental, and one wall is reserved for shelves. Once it is done, I will definitely write a post about it πŸ™‚

• Reply Marianne March 12, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Hi Will, Yvonne over at Yvestown wrote that you taught the crowd at MTB how to make an animated giff. Maybe you can teach your readers too? That would be great! The one on Yvonne’s blog looks so cute!

• Reply janis-pinecone camp March 12, 2013 at 9:35 pm

I would love open shelving, but don’t know if I’m “tidy” enough for that business πŸ˜‰ Love those baskets under the sink, as well as those cute candle holders.

• Reply CHICHI furniture April 18, 2013 at 10:51 am

All you need to add to this picture perfect image is the smell of fresh baking – heaven. Kitchens are a great place to add colour, there are so many beautiful rustic furniture options in fab pastel colours. Also the open shelves certainly add character, its bringing back the old idea of having fabulous open farmhouse style sideboards to display all the beloved crockery on – I find it tells a story about who lives in the house – great.