Colour Palette: Cosy & Colourful Dining Room

I’ve always longed to have an apartment with enough space to place a bench along one side of a dining table, just like Stine (who authors a beautiful blog called, Stines Hjem) has in her dining room. I felt so inspired by how she layered gentle hues across the walls, textiles, lighting and furniture to create a cosy and informal eating space. This is the kind of dining area that isn’t too formal to sit around and chat with friends over a cup of tea, nor is it too informal to work for a grown up dinner party. Stine complimented the weathered wooden furniture with a soothing palette of dove grey hues and diluted duck egg shades – the duo of true blue pendants bring an element of surprise to the room. It makes my heart happy to see colourful spaces like these; spaces that spell out Home. What do you find inspiring about this dining area?

// Photography by Stines Hjem

• Reply Azu February 27, 2013 at 12:29 am

This is beautiful. The colors here are right up my alley. I love the bird print curtain in the background :)

xo Azu

• Reply Amy @ Milo and Mitzy February 27, 2013 at 2:24 am

Love this image Will. Yes a bench along the side of a table would rock. I have the space. Just need to find the right bench. x

• Reply tim@designmaze February 27, 2013 at 3:36 am

definitely the blue pendants (love the silver lining) and the birdie wallpaper as backdrop … they give this room an edge and set it apart from an ordinary country farm house dining room.

• Reply Sian February 27, 2013 at 8:50 am

I am completely smitten by this room as it looks so relaxed and cosy. I can imagine the bench is very comfortable with its blanket and cushions and I love the pendant lights and muted colours.

*happy sigh*

• Reply Emelie February 27, 2013 at 9:24 am

Love the colour sheme! The light blue / grey colour of the little stool in front of the table is just perfect for my next painting project! ;)

Benches in the kitchen is just so nice! I’m trying to convince my parents about that. Just imagine lots of cushions , a cup of tea and a magazine…

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar February 27, 2013 at 9:48 am

@Emelie – That’s just what I imagine when I think about how I would enjoy this space!

• Reply rachie @ a chi chi affair February 27, 2013 at 10:54 am

Love this as its vintage but also feels quite modern! Cosy and calm! xx

• Reply We Heart Home February 27, 2013 at 11:00 am

Very refreshing palette! Doves and duck eggs – a perfect description :)

Not my style at all, but I would gladly go over there for a cup of tea anytime!

Xx. Holly.

• Reply brenda February 27, 2013 at 3:57 pm

we recently painted our walls a light grey and were wondering what our accent color should be….this blue is so beautiful it may just be perfect…, thanks for sharing the blog too just popped over and love it !

• Reply Eliana February 27, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Simple and beautiful…..kisses from Brasil!

• Reply Sarah February 27, 2013 at 5:52 pm

I am a pastel girl so I love this soothing girly dining room!

• Reply Alexa February 27, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Loving the rustic look too! :)

• Reply Stines Hjem - Livet på landet February 27, 2013 at 9:00 pm

Oh, thank you so much for showing my diningroom to everyone :)

• Reply Rebecca @ beautiful square feet February 27, 2013 at 10:59 pm

Love the quality of the light – I think I would enjoy breakfast in there! Also like the zinginess of the chrome details against the more pared back pastels.

• Reply susan February 27, 2013 at 11:31 pm

It is super cozy…the lights are fabulous!

• Reply SUE @ BOUTIQUE PROVENCALE March 5, 2013 at 11:09 am

This is a very pretty room, but the colours are a bit muted for my taste. I prefer something with a little bit more zing. How about some yellow accents?