New Limited Edition IKEA Billy Bookcases

IKEA-limited-edition-orange-Billy-Bookcase-2013blue-billy-bookcase-limited-edition-IKEAblack-white-Billy-bookcase-limited-edition-IKEAlimited-edition-Billy-bookcases-IKEA

Remember the colourful delights of last year’s limited edition Billy bookcases? Well, IKEA have once again embraced bold brights to bring an updated spin on the 1979 classic to create three limited edition styles for February 2013. White on the outside and on the shelving edges but as vibrant as they come on the inside, these Billy bookcases are an affordable way to bring a statement piece into a room. You can choose from colour blocked designs in aquamarine blue or vivacious orange, both designed by Gillis Lundgren, or the black and white wallpaper-style print that depicts books open like fans, which was designed by Susanna Löfgren. At only £80 each these limited edition Billy bookcases are affordable enough to buy in multiples – try placing three in row to create a bright and cheerful library wall, or opt for different colours in alcoves either side of a fireplace for an instant storage solution. I can’t choose between blue and orange, but which of the three Billy bookcases gets your vote?

// Photography by IKEA

You Might Also Like

• Reply Michelle January 29, 2013 at 12:57 am

I really like the black and white pattern but I wonder if it will look too busy once there are books and ornaments on the shelves? I love my Billy Bookcase I have one of the big 10 cube ones in black and change the display around weekly, moving books and knick nacks around as I feel like it!

• Reply Shell January 29, 2013 at 1:10 am

Definitely the black and white gets my vote, so wish they were in Australia. I will have to keep a watch for them.

Cheers

• Reply julia [lifeonchurchill] January 29, 2013 at 1:48 am

I vote orange!

• Reply susan January 29, 2013 at 2:11 am

oh wow…love the black and white!

• Reply tim@designmaze January 29, 2013 at 5:13 am

I am so hunting down these black & white Billy bookcases! working on a rental where we can’t do anything to the walls (no paints, no wallpaper, not a single hole to hang artwork). I need these bookcases to pop with personality!

Canada, please have these bookcases in February too!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 29, 2013 at 7:43 am

@Tim – Good plan! Have you considered using Command 3M to hang artwork? It’s ideal for rented spaces because it doesn’t damage the walls.

• Reply Preciously Me January 29, 2013 at 11:05 am

LOVE the black & white one!!!

• Reply Gudy Herder January 29, 2013 at 11:15 am

I am with Michelle wondering if the backdrop would look a little cluttered with all the books and objects you might store in it. It looks fantastic though on the pic. My choice would be probably blue, I guess. Anyway, Billy with that styling look fab in any color!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 29, 2013 at 11:17 am

@Gudy – I think it would work if you used block colour pieces and book covers to style it as they would serve to break the bold pattern behind.

• Reply tina @ colourliving January 29, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Gosh, talk about colour! I bought my first Billy bookcase in the 80’s eek. Love the idea, not sure about execution as could look very messy indeed. But hey, love IKEA’s vision:-)

• Reply Tara Bradford January 29, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Definitely the black and white! But in the right setting, the others would be great too. BTW, I do not own a single piece of Ikea furniture!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 29, 2013 at 3:07 pm

@Tara – Wow! I love IKEA and their pieces have seen me through many homes over the years.

• Reply Kerry {Super Swoon} January 29, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Definitely the black & white!! I hope they do more of these… would love to see one with a metallic backing!

• Reply Julie Miniboux January 29, 2013 at 4:45 pm

I love the black & white, the pattern is absolutely beautiful !

• Reply janis-pinecone camp January 29, 2013 at 9:46 pm

I would have to go with the black and white, and fill with pops of colour. Love them!

• Reply Jessie January 30, 2013 at 5:43 pm

I love the black and white one, the pattern is chic and beautiful! Love Ikea!

Jessie

• Reply Sonia K April 5, 2013 at 9:05 pm

I tried to hunt this bookcase down but my local Ikea rep told me it is discontinued? Why must you play with my emotions?