Maison&Objet Trend: Wood & Coloured Lacquer

The-Henson-Family-remix-deskHi, folks! Despite the heaviest snowfall Paris has seen in half a decade (and considerable amounts in London, too) I managed to make it back home without my flight being cancelled – even if we did spend more time taxiing/waiting for the plane to be de-iced than we did actually flying, I was grateful to be on one of the few planes that left! Now that I’m back from Paris I thought I’d pull together a post on the key trend I spotted at Maison et Objet – the pairing of wood with brightly coloured lacquered materials. Of course, there was the usual mix of brights and the whole pastel and neon trend is still going strong several seasons later but it was this combination of materials that kept catching my colour-loving eye. Shall we kick off with the first brand? Great, let’s go!the-hansen-family-furniture-collectionthe-hansen-family-dining-table-sideboardThe Hansen Family is a small furniture producer that uses ecologically grown wood selected by hand to create what they call ‘new Scandinavian design’. Their Remix collection, shown here, refers to the inspiration behind the collection: archived family sketches combined with the functional requirements of our times. My stand out piece was the Remix Desk for it’s playful additions of colour and inventive form, but the dining table was a close second.case-furniture-masion-et-objetcase-furniture-sideboard-maison-et-objetThe trend is more than evident in Case Furniture’s new pieces, especially their Vitrina storage range that was debuted at Maison et Objet – I could bring both the tall bookcase and sideboard into my home without second need for second thought! I found both pieces intriguing in their use of materials; the way the wood – when paired with the glass – acted like a frame to the colourful interior. Not only tactile and aesthetically pleasing but on point when it comes to both form and function, I really admired the craftsmanship and design of this range.hay-shelving-maison-et-objetHAY-New-Order-Collection-2013HAY is a popular Danish brand that I’ve admired since it launched in 2003, but their forthcoming New Order collection that was previewed at Maison et Objet might just be my favourite piece from the brand to date. Plus, it was yet further evidence that designers are gravitating towards a combination of wood with hotly hued colours used to accent the architecture of the design. No surprise to see their choice of neon for these pieces – not only is it a well established trend but it’s also the perfect accent to their core range of pastel pieces.singularite-bookcase-maison-et-objetsingularite-bookcaseA new find for me was Singularite, a relatively new furniture company that was founded last year that makes handcrafted products in a collaboration between emerging talents coming from design and contemporary art fields, and French and European craftsmen. I was immediately drawn to their interesting use of colour and the Scandinavian influences seen in their ‘Watching the ships roll in’ bench. However, it was the ‘Etagere Y’ shelving unit that won the key to my decor-loving heart. If I lived in an open plan studio I would love to use this piece as a room divider – wouldn’t that be great?! The designer, Marie Dessuant, explained that the ‘Y’ shape of the shelf reflects a seaside landscape lined with pine trees and the colourful lacquering is a nod to the pastel tones buildings. Seriously, this couldn’t be a more perfect piece for Mr. Bazaar! Tell me, which pieces from this Maison et Objet trend round up do you like?bright-bazaar-maison-et-objet

// Photography by Will Taylor & individual brands

You Might Also Like

• Reply Emily January 21, 2013 at 7:32 pm

I am totally in love with the desk and the dining table. Genius designs and so fun and bright too. Hope Paris was fun in the snow!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 21, 2013 at 7:40 pm

@Emily – It was so fun, thank you! I will share my adventures on Bright.Bazaar very soon!

• Reply Sarah @ Mocha January 21, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Absolutely loving that top desk too!

• Reply Christinainaustralia January 21, 2013 at 8:01 pm

LOVE the desk. I’d need mine to be three times as big (I’m a messy worker) but the mix of wood and bright colours is just so inspiring. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply susan January 21, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Oh wow what a cool combo…you simply *must* have that desk, don’t you think?!

• Reply Magda January 21, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Hello Will, very nice round-up. I really enjoyed reading about this trend. I am looking forward to more posts about M&O, since I was not able to go to the fair myself.

As to my favorite piece from the ones you presented, I really like the desk by The Hansen Family. I think it is a nice idea that it provides easily reachable storage for little things and these colors – love them!

• Reply my scandinavian home January 21, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Trust Hay to get it completely right. One of my favourite brands of the moment, in fact I’ve been meaning to pop over to Copenhagen to their flagship store for ages. Great post Will!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 21, 2013 at 8:49 pm

@Nina – I’d love to see a store tour of their flagship location on your blog! It’s hard to find lots of their pieces here in the UK!

• Reply Jessica January 21, 2013 at 9:33 pm

I love all of the storage options and the bright colors. I love the desk at the top and how it has the colorful little cubicles to put things in, which is also why I love the table further down too. In a craft room that would be a great place to keep the supplies that you need within arms reach. I agree with you that the book case would make a great room divider.

Jessica @ Sunny Days and Starry Nights

• Reply Lena January 21, 2013 at 9:51 pm

Oh, love this trend and the pieces you showed – wood will always be a facourite of mine and combined with some colourful touches – even better. And I was SO happy to see the hansen family’s collection here – I’ve featured Gesa Hansen before, I think she is such a big talent. (And her quote “ornaments love minimalism” to describe her designs would be a good headline for this whole trend, too, I think!)

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 21, 2013 at 9:54 pm

@Lena – I so agree with you; she is clearly a total design rockstar! As for that quote? A perfect fit, for sure.

• Reply rachie @ a chi chi affair January 21, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Love the desk, the side board, the shelves and your socks! Fab! x

• Reply Lindsey January 21, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Love these styles, particularly the bench!

• Reply Cindy @ NeatoKeen January 22, 2013 at 1:55 am

The Vitrina sideboard is genius…the “side” display is apropos!

• Reply tim@designmaze January 22, 2013 at 4:06 am

Fab finds Will and what a bright trend you’ve spotted! I will be paying attention to this one when I check out IDS 2013 in Toronto this week.

My personal favourite has got to be those glass units by Case Furniture. Love the fun color inside and the glass exterior! As you’ve said, the piece itself almost looks like a glass house with bright colored walls!

Glad to hear you’ve made it home safe and sound!

Hugz

• Reply Marina Sofia January 22, 2013 at 8:28 am

Fantastic furniture – I do love colourful things, which still have simple, stylish lines. And it’s not an easy combination to find. Are they commercially available or just exhibition models? I am tempted to get that desk and the kids’ storage for my children (or perhaps for myself).

• Reply Rachie @ a chi chi affair January 23, 2013 at 9:16 am

You are sooo clever! They look fab. I so need to learn how to use my sewing machine!!!
    Rachie xo

• Reply Gerard @Walnutgrey January 23, 2013 at 10:12 am

Will, great trend post! I will be honest, it’s not totally my cup of tea, but I can see the pull this trend will have for many design lovers.

The Hansen Family desk reminded me of George Nelson’s iconic Home Desk, one I’m sure you love too http://www.vitra.com/en-gb/home/products/home-desk/overview/

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 23, 2013 at 10:15 am

@Gerard – Thank you! Yes, I love his desk; the shape and use of colour are spot on.

• Reply Michelle January 23, 2013 at 10:56 am

Love the neon sideboard.

• Reply Amanda January 24, 2013 at 8:39 am

perfect mix of colour + wood. these pieces are amazing!

• Reply Daniel Nelson March 22, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Great post Will. I remember reading it when you posted but didn’t comment. Now I’m sitting with Marie Dessuant and stumbled across it again and wanted to reply.

Love the new Vitrina from Case also, but then I am biased.