How To Decorate With Black and Yellow

fig.1 | fig.2 | fig.3 | fig.4 | fig.5 | fig.6 | fig.7 | fig.8 | fig.9 | fig.10

If you saw the sneak peek of my newly painted yellow hallway earlier this week you’ll know I have a thing for yellow teamed with black, so I was super excited by this Good Homes magazine shoot – so much so that I pulled together a round up of my favourite market picks to go with the look! This colour palette is incredibly versatile; the combination works well here as for a children’s bedroom, playroom and work area, but it would could also be used for a striking sophisticated scheme, too. To balance the look from youthful to grown up, swap out playful accessories in canary yellows for throws and statement lamps in a more grown up saffron yellow. That said, I’m still crazy about lots of the pieces in this kid’s set up! From the Donna Wilson cushions and polka dot grey bedding to Papermash’s make your own black lettering banner kit and Ferm Living’s neon raindrops pillow, I’m 100% sold on this look. P.S. It’s fun to see the retro barber board I have in my kitchen (see the post on it here) used in a different setting, too! What’s catching your attention from this graphic palette?
// Good Homes | Photography by Max Attenborough | Styling by Charlotte Love

You Might Also Like

• Reply mary @ B&Gjournals January 10, 2013 at 1:59 am

i really like this color combo, mostly because i love gray. and i feel like i should be sick of smegs by now since they are pretty ubiquitous, but i’m still crushing on them :)

• Reply Daniel Paya January 10, 2013 at 2:12 am

Definitely one of my favourite palettes Will.

• Reply Michelle January 10, 2013 at 2:54 am

The muted yellow tone gives a totally different vibe to the room doesnt it, much more relaxing and calming for a kids room. Whereas the bright vibrant yellow is energising and confident better for a study or something :)

• Reply Azu January 10, 2013 at 3:21 am

This is cute and doable! I love that the yellow is so toned down. I think it would be easier to look at and work with when decorating.

xoxo Azu

• Reply Jessie January 10, 2013 at 5:12 am

Love that striped teepee, the yellow sofa and the chevron pouf!

Happy New Year, Will!

Jessie

• Reply tim@designmaze January 10, 2013 at 5:17 am

Hello MR! of course you know a tasty yellow, grey, black + white palette gets me every time!! LOVE IT!!

The grey polka dot sheet, the rain drops pillow, the super chic black and white mini tent … just a few of my favs!!

crazy about that camel print too!

• Reply Maria January 10, 2013 at 5:38 am

I love this combination. Especially with grey and yellow, so cheerful yet stylish!

• Reply Lily January 10, 2013 at 8:22 am

Loving this colour combo so much! The grey and mellower yellow combo are divine…thanks for sharing Will :)

• Reply Joan Troyer January 10, 2013 at 9:17 am

Awesome combination. I usually combine yellow with blue. I never thought it will have a great combination with grey.

• Reply Debra finn January 10, 2013 at 10:12 am

I have fallen in love with practically every item on ww.schoolhouseelectric.com the shop where your coat hooks come from. Shame its in the States but my brother in law lives in Portland so I maybe pointing him in this direction next time he’s coming over. We’re slowly finishing our bedroom in this colour scheme having decorated a wall of it in our Columbia Road wallpaper by Custhom, which you might like http://cavalierofinn.bigcartel.com/product/custhom-mustard-columbia-road-wallpaper. I’ll be bookmarking this feature for future reference. Thanks Will. Happy new year to you too xx

• Reply A Cat From London January 10, 2013 at 11:56 am

Yellow and black is always looks nicer with grey.

• Reply Tina fussell January 10, 2013 at 1:42 pm

eek! Love it all! And a big congrats on your West Elm feature!

• Reply Emily January 10, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Utterly in love with these ideas. Thanks for sharing. Now to get busy with at least one of my children’s bedrooms! x

• Reply vicky {brideandchic} January 10, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Oh great minds, I’ve already ripped these pages from Good Homes for my scrap book as would love this for my boys bedroom… now instead I can Pin them :) Thanks Will!
    x

• Reply Natalie Canning January 10, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Yellow and grey for a child’s bedroom is just perfect. Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Hege January 10, 2013 at 7:09 pm

It’s fab! Love the IKEA pendant lamp and the sofa.

• Reply Katie Meyers January 10, 2013 at 7:13 pm

You hit the nail on the head with my all-time favorite color combo, Will!! And, I recently hosted a NYC-inspired brunch in my apartment using the exact color scheme!

• Reply tina @colourliving January 10, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Yes, great colour combo and your posts are looking super cool with the new layout!

That bear side table. Not seen before. Not sure I wouldn’t jump in fright every time I saw it. Think will stick with my black knome by Philip Starck for now:))

Happy travels to Cologne. x

• Reply susan January 10, 2013 at 11:56 pm

This is basically the entire scheme of our work-in-progress playroom for the twins! I will share once it is done, of course!

• Reply Elli @studio34eblog January 11, 2013 at 7:18 am

I love this color combination. Make me feel relaxed!Happy weekend Will!

• Reply WeHeartHome January 11, 2013 at 12:42 pm

oooh! I really love it in the kid’s room! Great inspiration, thanks!

:) Holly.

• Reply Emelie January 12, 2013 at 9:11 am

Congrats for the nomination!
    I love the colour combination, even though I might not use it in my own house. But I really need to paint my window sills like this! It will definitely be next paintin project!

• Reply rachie January 12, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Completely die for these colours – so perfect for a little ones room! Gives me lots of ideas!! ;-) I might have to buy that bear side table – it is immense!! xx

• Reply Hampshire furniture January 14, 2013 at 1:53 pm

This colour combination is unreal. Black, white and grey are classic, but the splash of yellow is so unexpected. I love how it’s ultra-contemporary but still quite cosy. And THAT bear side table…incredible.