BRIGHT.LIFE

DIY: Cheery Yellow Curtains In My Living Room

curtain-making-guideyellow-curtain-makingyellow-curtainsyellow-curtains-DIY

My current apartment has huge windows (we’re talking four metres high!) that had these horrific office blinds as window coverings when I moved in; no need to say that I whipped those monstrous things out quickly! Despite hunting high and low for curtains big enough for the window, I was unfruitful in my attempts. However, I decided to see the positive in the situation: by not buying readymade designs I was able to choose fabric by the metre that was a perfect fit for my aesthetic. So, of course, I went for the cheeriest yellow fabric I could find! Regular readers will know that I’m fond of a stripe, so it will come as no surprise that I fell hard and fast for Vanessa Arbuthnott’s French Ticking design. The buttercup and clay colourway was the perfect fit as I really wanted to make a colour statement with these curtains as they are an ideal way to bring temporary colour into a rented space. With my fabric chosen I set about making my first pair of curtains; nothing fancy, just a simple design. I allowed myself one and a half widths in fabric and lining and then ironed everything before I began to sew. To aid the hemming process I ironed the hems and pinned in the lining behind before I ran each side through the machine. I’m so pleased with how they turned out – the linen gives them a tactile feel and the yellow brings so much vibrancy and energy to the room. I’ll be sharing more of my living room in the next few weeks, but for now: what do you think of my curtains?

// Photography by Will Taylor

• Reply Kathi January 23, 2013 at 1:30 am

They look wonderful – no one would know it was your first pair of curtains !!!

• Reply Et tu, tutu? January 23, 2013 at 1:37 am

I love the pop of cheery colour they give to the room. That’s so uplifting, especially now in the drudgery of January!

-Lindsey

• Reply Vanessa@Decor Happy January 23, 2013 at 3:58 am

I think they are brilliant and so you! Love the sunny fabric and high fives to you for your sewing skills!

• Reply Chelsea C. January 23, 2013 at 4:39 am

That sewing machine looks good on you! ;)

• Reply Lea k January 23, 2013 at 5:14 am

I love the fabric, looks really nice! I just wanted to see how you hanged those. Are you going to show the whole thing later?

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 23, 2013 at 8:37 am

@Lea K – I hung them using these amazing hooks from IKEA that clip on at the back of the top hem; saves having to sew heading tape into them but gives the same effect.

• Reply Anya January 23, 2013 at 7:32 am

WOW Will, you made these. I adore them -what a lovely colourblast. I bought myself a sowing machine for Xmas, it’s still in the box. HMM perhaps I should’ve considered learning how to sow first ha ha:)
    Happy day,
    Ax

• Reply elli @studio34e blog January 23, 2013 at 7:39 am

WOW! You are very talended my friend!Super curtain!!

• Reply Yvonne @ Yvestown January 23, 2013 at 8:31 am

YOU DID IT!! Bravo!! It’s easy right? Love them Will, I need some yellow in my life.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 23, 2013 at 8:35 am

@Yvonne – Yay! Yes, surprisingly easy although a little tricky as I had so much fabric and lining to get to grips with!

• Reply Meghan @ Wishful Thinking January 23, 2013 at 8:38 am

Love love love them Will! The soft yellow colour with that pattern is just lovely. Now if you could make your way over to mine… I have a few windows that need pretty new curtains! :)

• Reply katie January 23, 2013 at 9:54 am

Very impressive! I love the cheery stripes. I had to make curtains for our huge sash window too – or rather my Mum did as I can’t sew in a straight line :)

• Reply Polly Rowan January 23, 2013 at 10:00 am

So lovely! yellow and grey together are perfect!

• Reply Sian @ The cupboard January 23, 2013 at 10:11 am

I am seriously impressed – they look fantastic.

You’ve inspired me; I now feel a little DIY project coming on as our kitchen is currently in need of new curtains (might need my Mum’s help with the Roman blind though!)

• Reply Preciously Me January 23, 2013 at 10:13 am

I really like your handmade curtains! They brighten the room!
    And it’s always a pleasure to see a man using a sewing machine …!

• Reply Anna Simmonds January 23, 2013 at 10:30 am

How gorgeous! I bet the vertical stripes make the window look even longer and more stunning.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 23, 2013 at 10:32 am

@Anna – Yes, they really do add visual height to the space – not to mention a lovely hit of colour!

• Reply Abbey January 23, 2013 at 11:03 am

These are awesome Will! So impressed by your sewing skills!

Abbey x

• Reply caroline @trend-daily January 23, 2013 at 12:43 pm

You clever sausage-and you look so happy at the machine! She does wonderful fabrics-great choice :-) xx

• Reply Katie Meyers January 23, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Love these – so cheery! I admire your sewing skills… I need to take some notes to learn myself. :)

• Reply tim@designmaze January 23, 2013 at 1:35 pm

fantastic drapes! so cheerful and I love the almost “hand-drawn” look. Mr you are so handy! I have yet to conquer my fear of a sewing machine.

Can’t wait to see your living room!

• Reply Joanne January 23, 2013 at 1:39 pm

I absolutely love these! The fabric is gorgeous. I made mine with some cheap and cheerful Ikea fabric so I don’t have a heart attack every time the kids play peekaboo with them but I think I’ll steal your style when they’re a bit bigger!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 23, 2013 at 1:41 pm

@Joanne – Oh, I love IKEA so I’m sure your curtains look great as well!

• Reply tina @ colourliving January 23, 2013 at 2:07 pm

I don’t know what’s more exciting… how lovely they are or that I actually know a MAN who makes his own curtains:-) either way, delicious x

• Reply Tonia January 23, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Yellow just seems to brighten a space. Seem you did an awesome job with making your curtains.

• Reply Noemi January 23, 2013 at 2:20 pm

really nice!!

• Reply Igor January 23, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Great curtains, Will! Oh and I’m endlessly jealous cause you’re so crafty!!! Unlike me!

• Reply maureen stevens January 23, 2013 at 3:26 pm

And you can sew too! Amazing. I do love the color and striped pattern…reminds me of a French courtyard’s awnings…love!

• Reply Stacey January 23, 2013 at 3:51 pm

my heart just did a happy flutter; i absolutely love the curtains, the colour, and the pattern! you did an amazing job!! xx

• Reply Trisha Jones January 23, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Really lovely – i love that the light comes through just a little.

Are you a natural at everything you do!??!? it seems so!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 23, 2013 at 3:54 pm

@Trisha – Thanks! Seriously, try and get to do Maths or speak a foreign language and you’ll soon see how bad I am at those skills! ;)

• Reply mikky January 23, 2013 at 5:12 pm

Yikes, you are amazing! For a first attempt at making curtains, I think you hit it out of the park, these look store bought! Way to go Will.
    Great choice in fabric.

mikky

• Reply Magda January 23, 2013 at 7:55 pm

These curtains look great, Will! So bright and cheerful. What sewing machine do you have? I have been thinking about purchasing one for a while already and I cannot decide which one to get :)

• Reply Katja January 23, 2013 at 8:45 pm

You did a good job! The color and pattern is well chosen, looks bright and nice!

• Reply susan January 23, 2013 at 10:41 pm

You sir, are a man of many talents!

• Reply jen January 24, 2013 at 7:07 am

i LOVE the new curtains!! they couldn’t look more amazing in that room! can’t wait to see more room pics :) … we just moved into a new apt and cannot get enough home decor tips and tricks! … and shopping?

• Reply Rachel {Little Bits of Lovely} January 24, 2013 at 11:22 am

Gorgeous fabric Will; it is the type of fabric that will brighten up your whole room and make it feel so warm and cheery! You are very clever :) xx

• Reply interiordesignamsterdam January 25, 2013 at 7:27 pm

You sew!!! that is awesome

• Reply Jo hayes January 27, 2013 at 11:37 pm

Hello! I just wondered where you got the art from in the photograph?

Thanks and really like your blog!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 28, 2013 at 6:54 am

@Jo – It was a one off print I had printed by an illustrator. Let me dig out the link and see if they have a shop! Thanks for kind words.

• Reply Dita February 10, 2013 at 10:50 am

Hello, I want a yellow curtain too for biggie window at the living room. My house is facing south and it catchs morning sunshine a lot then I thought yellow curtain will be nice. I wonder what kind of yellow that will match my creamy wall

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar February 10, 2013 at 11:13 am

@Dita – I would suggest getting a few different yellow fabrics (in various designs and shades) and then see how they look at different times of the day – when the sun shines through them, at night etc. Good luck with the hunt!