Colour Palette: Plum & Mustard Living Room

plum_and_mustard_living_room

Recently I’ve been massively crushing on violet; not so much over a true purple, but more sophisticated shades of the hue: think deep, dark, brooding aubergine (or eggplant to my US readers!) and sleek plum tones. I’m currently working on overhauling my bedroom by teaming these shades with racing green, but I also think this particular shade of violet pairs seamlessly with golden saffron. The eclectic living room shown is an excellent example of how to pick two hues and use just one shade of each to produce a simple yet striking colour statement. The reason this works is because yellow – which is saffron’s parent hue – sits directly opposite violet on the colour wheel, and so combining the two together creates a harmonious complementary colour scheme. If you were to layer in other shades of the two hues the scheme would feel softer, but by just using one shade from each colour the scheme maintains a stronger visual statement. The picture shelf full of vintage prints and mirrors suits this traditional look but you could modernise this palette (and scheme) by swapping these pieces for a range of coloured glassware and bold typographic prints. What do you like about this palette, folks?
// Mrs. Jones

• Reply mary @ B&Gjournals January 16, 2013 at 1:13 am

i will never tire of mustard. and love it with that plum color!

• Reply Audrey - This Little Street January 16, 2013 at 3:06 am

Love these two colors together!

• Reply STYLIZIMO January 16, 2013 at 9:14 am

A lovely colour combination!

• Reply Sina - The Cupboard January 16, 2013 at 10:44 am

Gorgeous and sumptuous!

• Reply Mike Bowers January 16, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Hmmm, I quite like the colours, but I’m not a fan of that sofa. Bit bulky for me….

• Reply julia [lifeonchurchill] January 16, 2013 at 1:33 pm

I love the mustard yellow rug!

• Reply Sharon January 16, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Love it, call it what you will …opposites attract and this is a stunning combo. My favourite is saffron/gold/mustard…

• Reply Sharon January 16, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Stunning combo – whatever you wish to call it. I’ve always been in love with mustard/saffron/ochre even when it’s been ‘out of fashion’ it’s great teamed with the aubergine!

• Reply ERICA January 16, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Smashing! I love mustard, but never fully embraced *purple* boo…You’ve made me a new fan of eggplant (and I MUCH prefer the UK’s name for it: aubergine)!

• Reply Hege January 16, 2013 at 3:37 pm

It looks great. Not much of a purple fan myself, but this one I can cope with. Love the vintage feel and the rug. hx

• Reply Julie-white tapestry January 16, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Absolutely love this color palette!!

• Reply Anya January 16, 2013 at 4:54 pm

GOSH I think this is close to my favorite colour palette ever – how awesome:) I love it all, – in-fact I’d move into that picture stat!!
    Take care Will, hope you are not freezing – here it truly is exactly that,
    Axx

• Reply Kim l. January 16, 2013 at 6:15 pm

I love the color combo! I would have never thought they would go so well with each other. Purple is one of my favorite colors so I’m obsessed with the rich velvet couch!

• Reply shani gilchrist January 17, 2013 at 7:18 pm

I had to giggle when I found this because I wrote a blog post about the same color on the same day! This is my first time reading Bright Bazaar, and I’ll definitely return… especially now that the “great minds” adage is in full effect. :) Here is the link to my ‘plum’ post: http://camillemaurice.com/2013/01/camille-maurice-she-columbia/

Cheers!

Shani

• Reply FrauSchmitt January 17, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Will, this color combination is gorgious, I loved it at first sight. The aubergine looks fab together with the mustard. Where is this sofa from?
    I linked you back on my blog, hope that’s ok with you. So glad, I met you in person at imm, your presentation was pure joy!
    Cheers from Düsseldorf

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 17, 2013 at 9:03 pm

@FrauSchmitt Hello! It was lovely to meet you, too, thank you so much for coming! I’m not sure where this sofa is from, but you could try sofa.com or similar to look for styles that may be closely matched. Good luck!

• Reply raina January 22, 2013 at 4:43 am

Will, I keep coming back to this picture… loving the color combo. I think you have sent me on a new direction for my new house.