Colour Palette: Colourful Rustic Kitchen Diner

colourful-kitchen-diner

The power of colour in a decorating scheme should never be underestimated because it really can completely change the dimension and feel of a room. This kitchen diner is a classic example of how you can layer colour into a scheme to soften the harder elements of the space. Imagine if you stripped out all the colour accents from this space. The result would be a room that feels vastly different because it would be dominated by the rustic textures that are heavily used throughout, such as the exposed brick wall, bare wooden furniture and factory-style pendant. The addition of the smooth and glossy blue and red hues seen in the chairs and cupboard doors provides visual contrast to these harder elements, which in turn brings balance to the overall scheme. This is just one of the many reasons why I think decorating with colour is so exciting: just a simple addition of brightly hued dining chairs can totally alter a scheme. Which elements of this kitchen do you like?

// Photography by Evelyn Müller for Casa BR

You Might Also Like

• Reply Kathi January 25, 2013 at 1:25 am

love the bright aqua and red even more with the rustic contrast !

• Reply Gabrielle January 25, 2013 at 9:03 am

Love this kitchen! The pops of colours make it so bright and cheerful, I can imagine how different it would feel with more monochrome shades. It reminds me of Jamie Oliver, I can see him filming a show cooking in a kitchen like this.

• Reply Gerard @Walnutgrey January 25, 2013 at 10:39 am

I do like the blue in this image Mr Bazaar, especially in the drawers & cupboards. But I favour the “harder elements” of the scheme. I actually think a darker, solid colour, floor would benefit the overall look.

• Reply Lana January 25, 2013 at 1:39 pm

I love the tiled floor and the exposed brick wall! Lovely space. Have a fantastic weekend, Will! :)

• Reply Hege January 25, 2013 at 1:41 pm

I like the bright colours. Love the effect it has when you add colour. I’ve almost finished adding green details to my own kithcen and it’s changed so much.
    Happy Weekend! hx

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 25, 2013 at 1:42 pm

@Hege – So excited to see the difference the green details have made to your kitchen, Hege!

• Reply Anita January 25, 2013 at 2:17 pm

I love the colors and brightness of this space! The tiles are gorgeous and it must be a wonderful place to live in!

• Reply Anya January 25, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Dear Will, what a lovely spacious rustic kitchen. I actually love the colour palette, mixed with the wood and the divine tiles. Would adore a kitchen like that. Happy weekend, hope you are keeping warm,
    Ax

• Reply Stacey January 25, 2013 at 5:30 pm

in love with everything! great space to brighten my dreary and cold day! xx

• Reply Carla January 25, 2013 at 9:35 pm

I love the contrast between the exposed brick & the glossy colour. Dream kitchen!

• Reply Katja January 26, 2013 at 1:45 pm

The kithchen looks wonderful! The small splashes of turquoise and red adds depth and interest.

• Reply Heather @ Beyond the Aisle January 26, 2013 at 9:55 pm

I love the exposed brick and the vintage style art.