BRIGHT.LIFE

Tablescape 101: A Colourful New Year’s Eve Bash

My favourite way to spend New Year’s Eve is around the table with close friends enjoying great conversation about the year gone by and the one ahead. So I was delighted when Manvi pulled together this wonderful New Year’s Eve bash full of colour and sparkle as part of the Tablescape 101 series. I love that this look embraces a budget approach to tablescape design. After all, with the excess and expense of the Holiday season it’s great to create a show-stopping look on a shoestring, right?! One of my favourite ideas is to use a roll of gold wrapping paper down the centre of the table as a table runner; it’s ideal for pulling all the smaller elements of the design together and it doesn’t matter if food, wine or wax get split on it as the festivities get more, well, festive! Another great tip for creating a cohesive tabletop is to echo the main elements of the scheme – colour, pattern and texture – in the smaller pieces. Here the metallic graphic on the salad plates ties in with the gold runner and stemware, which visually pulls the look together. To create a knockout centrepiece, try freehand painting with gold leafing liquid onto simple white vases and then fill with white peonies. Then pepper brightly coloured votives and flickering candles around the table to give a warm and welcoming feel. Finally, use leftover wrapping paper to make party hats and add a name tag to the top so that they double as fun placecards. All done? Great, all that’s left to do is to pop the bubbly on ice. Cheers! How will you be celebrating New Year’s Eve, folks?

// Styling & photography by Manvi Drona-Hidalgo | Invite and party hats by Fig2.Design
// Sources: Gold dipped stemware | Flatware | Ceramic vases | Table cloth fabric | Side plates | Tumblers

You Might Also Like

• Reply maureen stevens December 28, 2012 at 12:31 am

colorful & festive! I love the magentas + gold and those Ikea vases are very striking when striped!

• Reply Bianca @ A Fabulous Challenge December 28, 2012 at 1:36 am

I adore this tabletop! It would truly look good for any event, not just New Years! I love the party hats and that Ikea fabric! Perfect!

x Bianca from http://www.AFabulousChallenge.com

• Reply megan December 28, 2012 at 2:20 am

oh, will…this looks so fabulous! i am always in love with these tablescapes. you and manvi make those party hats look stellar. cheers & have a happy new year!

• Reply Natasha @ Smorish December 28, 2012 at 12:27 pm

What a perfect tablescape for New Years! Love the sparkle!!!

• Reply Cyndi December 28, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Using inexpensive fabric & wrapping paper as a tablecloth and runner – great idea!

• Reply Steffi December 28, 2012 at 4:00 pm

I love them! Maybe we should were some of these at the IMM? ;) Could sparkle up (is there a word like this in English?) the room a little! Looking forward meeting you in person finally. Have a great New Year’s Eve with your friends! Best wishes, Steffi

• Reply tim@designmaze December 28, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Love this tablescape 101! Festive and perfect for New Year! Love the sparkles and the gold accents, along with the sharp black & white runner as placemats. Genius!!

Now I wish I’m coming to the party!!

• Reply susan December 29, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Oh, those fluffy peonies! Festive + fun party indeed!

• Reply Hege December 30, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Wow you’ve done such a great job, Will! It looks great! We’ll be spending New Year at home as the little one is ill.. :) Happy New Year! hx

• Reply Splendid Willow December 31, 2012 at 6:25 am

Hooray and cheers to two of my favorite bloggers! Always super fun seeing your brilliant collaborations.

And horray for Ikea. I might need to snag some yards of that b/w fabric for myself.

Happy New Year to you Mr. Will. With the store expanding I have had so little time for blog land. But do know that I think you are one of the very best. 5 stars all around.

Hugs to you.

Mon

• Reply my scandinavian home January 1, 2013 at 11:12 pm

wow! I would definitely enjoy a new years eve dinner party around that table. Love the spotty party hats! A very happy new year to you Will! /Niki

• Reply Meghan @ Wishful Thinking January 2, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Well I can certainly say without any doubt that my New Year’s celebrations were nowhere near as civilized as this! I adored this table scape, the party hats/place markers are such a fabulous idea! Hope you had a wonderful New Years! Looking forward to enjoying more of your blog in 2013!

• Reply Torie Jayne January 2, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Happy New Year! May all your dreams come true…

• Reply Gloria January 2, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Love the idea of using wrapping paper as a table runner – so clever :-) Happy new year, Will!

• Reply Maureen January 3, 2013 at 4:23 am

This tablescape is too good to only use at New Year…every party could use this level of glamour and fun!

• Reply janis-pinecone camp January 3, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Looks like a perfect new year’s table setting! Happy new year will! Best wishes for a fab 2013!!

• Reply ITZIAR January 4, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Oh!! I didn´t know you changed your look, what a surprise. Very nice.

Happy New Year.

• Reply Alison January 5, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Love all of the gold bits, beautiful!

• Reply Kathrin January 5, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Wow I love this. Esp. the gold leafed vases. This would give a modern twist to the gold-rimmed china I inherited from my grandmother. Love it. Thanks for the inspiration.

Happy New Year!