Store Tour: Folklore, London

There’s been a lot of buzz about Folklore – a new London store that opened in the past few months – so a couple of weeks ago Mr. Bazaar grabbed his camera and hot-footed it to Upper Street, Islington to see inside the store for himself! Inside, the shop feels welcoming and cosy thanks to stacks of layers and rustic textures; it feels like the perfect store for the autumnal season with lashings of warm wood and piles of cosy linens. I admired the subtle way owners, Danielle Reid and her husband Rob, had worked colour into the relatively calm and pared-back palette. Yet throughout the space there are flashes of neon hues mixed with opulent gold and rich noir finishes, which add depth and visual interest. Folklore work with a range of designers and makers to curate their environmentally friendly product assortment. In fact, all the products are either handmade, antique, made from recycled or found materials or easily recyclable at the end of their life. It’s refreshing to see a store embrace this ethos in such a transparent (and stylish!) manner. You should drop into the shop in person as the friendly shop assistants are more than happy to explain the provenance and story behind each product. And if you’re not in London, they ship internationally from their online store, too! Anything catching your eye?
// Photography by Will Taylor

• Reply megan soh October 2, 2012 at 1:58 am

oh. my. goodness. i think i just fell in LOVE! i want one of everything, no – two! this is stellar, will! so jealous of all these awesome UK stores!

• Reply Tim October 2, 2012 at 5:03 am

hello to green design and all the subtle hues in a neutral space! I love those pencil and the blue table lamp is just so much fun. Yeah to International shipping! Now I can get them over the pond as well :)

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 2, 2012 at 7:57 am

I'll take you next time you are in Londontown and we can shop up a storm! :)

• Reply Meghan @ Wishful Thinking October 2, 2012 at 6:46 am

Oooooh how very beautiful! Thank goodness I live in London because I can't wait to visit this store! I've got my eye on those beautiful herringbone throws – I am also totally crazy over that Amazon packaging lamp!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 2, 2012 at 7:59 am

The recycled Amazon packaging lamps are brill – I'd love to see a pair above a dining table.

• Reply About Margas October 2, 2012 at 6:55 am

Wonderful…Such places are truly inspiring. Wish there were more people out there with such great taste and environmentaly friendly ideas.

• Reply tina October 2, 2012 at 8:24 am

Totally love your pics;)

You portrayed Folklore brilliantly. In fact you made the shop look more vibrant than it really is.
    I'm also a fan of their products and philosophy and for me it's one of the most exciting concepts out there since 'Labour and Wait' first appeared on the scene. I've been numerous times and the sales assistants are very friendly.

Only downside for me is that the shop before was called 'Labour of Love', another gem that sadly closed down but thankfully is still online.

Great post. X

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar October 2, 2012 at 8:31 am

Thank you for your kind words, Tina. I'm still a novice behind the lens but it's certainly a fun process learning as I go! And, you know me, I always navigate to the most colourful materials and objects no matter what store I'm in! x

• Reply caroline @trend-daily October 2, 2012 at 8:48 am

They have such wonderful displays and I love the pendants in the opening shot. I can't wait to see for myself. Thanks Will! x

• Reply LatteLisa LisaHjalt October 2, 2012 at 8:54 am

Anything that catches my eye?!!

I'm just wondering if I can live in that shop. I'll sleep on the floor in a sleeping bag and I won't disturb the customers; they won't even know I'm there.

This shop is now officially on my list of places-I-need-to-visit when next time in London.
    Thank you for sharing, Will.

• Reply mida October 2, 2012 at 10:14 am

Me encanta. Qué buena referencia! Gracias

• Reply Rachie @ A Chi Chi Affair October 2, 2012 at 10:22 am

Good find and looks like a beautiful shop! I agree that your photos are brilliant! Very much like the online shop too x

• Reply Chloe Rose October 2, 2012 at 10:47 am

Anywhere with mouth-wateringly white wooden floors and mis-matched chairs is a winner in my books! Not popped my head around the door of the shop yet (will endeavour to because it looks divine!) but have known of the fabulousness that is Folklore for a wee while. Thanks for such a lovely peek inside! Chloe

• Reply Gild and Grace October 2, 2012 at 10:53 am

What a lovely store Will! Loving those blue lamps :)

Abbey x

• Reply Floor Number Four. October 2, 2012 at 11:11 am

There is actually nothing that my eyes have not fallen in love with! Very elegant objects and I love the plain colours!

• Reply designchic October 2, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Looks like such an amazing store – love the peek in the front window, wonderful hanging shelves, bleached hardwoods and amazing pendant lighting. Can't wait to check their website!

• Reply Swati October 2, 2012 at 2:05 pm

The lamp from recycled Amazon packaging is a very nifty idea. Needless to add, my next online destination is their website……..Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Jennifer Chong October 2, 2012 at 3:58 pm

ah! this show is awesome, thank you so much for sharing… now if we can only get them to open a store in the states!

• Reply Niki MyScandinavianHome October 2, 2012 at 6:04 pm

I saw this post and thought GRRRR, Islington is on the other side of London to where I stay and then I saw they have an online shop and everything changed…..this could be dangerous.

• Reply Sandy a la Mode October 2, 2012 at 9:47 pm

that store looks fab! loving all the rustic details!

Sandy a la Mode

• Reply White Forest Home October 2, 2012 at 10:34 pm

WOW – Gorgeous Store….will have to visit next time I'm in London!!

• Reply Spunky Junky October 3, 2012 at 1:50 am

I am in love with the neon pencils! Do they work well, is the question?Also, this may be a silly question, but I am in love with the handwriting font in your pictures…would you mind sharing heat it is?

• Reply Spunky Junky October 3, 2012 at 1:53 am

Blasted auto correct……what it is…..

• Reply Toni @ Skandivis October 3, 2012 at 10:58 am

I first came across Folklore a few month ago but as the shop was closed I resorted to pressing my nose up against the glass much like a child looking through a sweetshop window! Thanks to your fab post I can now relax in the knowledge that I've had a good peek inside :)

• Reply Iris Vank October 3, 2012 at 4:16 pm

What a cool shop!

• Reply Folklore October 3, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Hello and thank you all for such kind and lovely comments. We hope to see you all in the store soon. Or for those of you overseas, on the website! Keep up to date with our news and new products over on our Facebook and Twitter pages – both can be found at 'shopfolklore'. BIG thanks for the great post Will… Danielle and Rob :)

• Reply Charlotte October 3, 2012 at 6:12 pm

First I thought “Don't ever let me inside this shop – I'll walk out of there broke”. Then I thought, it's a good thing I'm not visiting London this autumn. But damn, then I saw that there's an online shop…