Palette Addict: Black, White & Grey

Black and white will always be the classic colour combination for the ultimate chic scheme, but throw some grey into this masculine mix and the look takes on a whole new edge. For me, this monochromatic scheme feels soothing and the essence of calm. Sometimes you see pictures in magazines of austere monochrome schemes, yet this space feels far from clinical and I believe it’s all thanks to the grey mid tones. I like how grey has been introduced as an accent hue amongst the dominant black and white, yet because it’s been added to the room’s statement piece – the sofa – it plays an important role in breaking up the graphic patterns that surround it. In fact, that couch can come home with me right away – I love it! Do you like monochrome decor schemes?
// Deborah Moir for AMM

• Reply Rachel {little bits of lovely} August 22, 2012 at 12:44 am

Oh yes without question, but I do love a splash of colour mixed in with it! I love that grey sofa, it softens the black and white as do the hints of gold and yellow. Such a gorgeous space! xx

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar August 22, 2012 at 8:22 am

100% agree, Rachel – it's the perfect palette to layer in other colours on top. xx

• Reply Michelle August 22, 2012 at 1:56 am

I just pinned this today! It amazing how such a simple pallete of black white and grey can be so striking and vibrant. I love this home πŸ™‚

• Reply Igor Josifovic August 22, 2012 at 7:43 am

When I think of black, white, grey I always think of A Merry Mishap, Stylizimo and Vosges Paris. They are all in my mind set for that colour range:-)

• Reply Rachie @ A Chi Chi Affair August 22, 2012 at 9:32 am

Love a bit of monochrome! I may have to add a few pops of colour though!! x

• Reply KATJA August 22, 2012 at 9:36 am

Black and white fur sure are everlasting classics – I don't think I will ever get bored of this combo! Grey softens the sharp contrast -as well as othet colours. Here is a close up, basic example of this colour scheme, with a DIY -idea also:

• Reply Gild and Grace August 22, 2012 at 11:06 am

Love this classic colour scheme Will. Though I'd always need to add a spot of colour πŸ™‚

Abbey x

• Reply Anonymous August 22, 2012 at 11:18 am

I agree with some of the other comments: love the style (have seen this before on another blog), but would personalise it with a splash pf colour with throw pillows or wall art.
    Greetz
    Sarah

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar August 22, 2012 at 11:27 am

Hi Sarah! Yes lots of blogs focus entirely on monochromatic schemes – to name a few… A Merry Mishap, Stylizimo and Vosges Paris – and I think when it's done right it can be a great colour scheme. Personally, I see black and grey as colours in their own right rather than shades of one colour. I love expressive and brave use of colour, so I'm always happy to see people decorating with rich and involving colours like black. My ideal would be to have some yellow accents, as it's such an energising colour to me!

• Reply Amalie loves Denmark August 22, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Hi Will,

thanks for your sweet comment. I can imagine how wonderful it must be with the smell of the roses in Regent Park. I guess, that are some David Austin roses?

And of course, nice to see your blog. If you need some inspiration from Denmark, donΒ΄t hesitate to ask me.

Have great day.

Amalie

• Reply Laura Bear August 22, 2012 at 1:15 pm

OH myyy I sure do love this very much so. Very clean and calm.

• Reply Chica, Cienna, and Cali August 22, 2012 at 2:16 pm

yes…i'll pair it with either yellow or turquoise in warmer months….. and in cooler months with caramel/tan. love it.

• Reply Hege SletsjΓΈe Morris August 22, 2012 at 5:47 pm

It's simply beautiful, but don't know if I could be so consistent.. do love it though! hx

• Reply claudia August 22, 2012 at 10:39 pm

As surprising as it was to see my fellow color lover do a post on black and white, I must say there must be something in the air! I have been on a black and white kick for some time now and for a while I felt maybe it wasn't true to who I am as a designer, but in reality it's how you approach the color scheme. I love the bold patterns and I would probably not be myself if I didn't add a pop of color in there somewhere. Great post, Will!

• Reply kate xx August 22, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Great couch!! πŸ™‚ x

• Reply Lianna August 23, 2012 at 6:28 pm

I like gray added to a room – but I think I prefer it mixed in with a couple pops of color!

• Reply beautiful square feet August 23, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Really like the touches of grey. I think the monochrome scheme is lovely and clean; although I think sometimes rooms decorated this way can look a bit clinical. I think the architecture of this room really helps, as does the fact that there are so many objects to look at.

• Reply Whitney Cosgrave August 24, 2012 at 8:59 pm

love the grey!

• Reply Jessie August 24, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Love the pop of brown from the entertainment unit, makes it so much warmer!

Jessie