Impasto: Painterly Stokes & Flamboyant Florals

I’m always excited to see a new collection from Harlequin as their bold and colourfully patterned fabrics never fail to disappoint Mr.Bazaar. Launching in August 2012, Impasto is a gentle collection detailing painterly strokes alongside flamboyant florals. Described by the brand as dramatic, uninhibited and vibrant, it’s clear to see that Impasto has been inspired by the loose stroke-style and light-reflecting techniques of the Impressionist movement. The collection was designed by Harlequin Studio’s Rebecca Cox, who hand-painted each design. I was interested to learn that ‘Impasto’ comes from a technique used by the Impressionists, who expressed themselves in their art-work through the use of very thickly applied paint, usually so thick that the brush or painting-knife strokes are visible. Interesting to know, right? I like how the technique has been applied across the Impasto collection on an array of tactile textiles, from shimmering silks and cottons to sumptuous velvets and weaves. Beyond the materials, I’m drawn to the rich and indulgent colour palettes that have been used: the inky blues and pink hues are brought to life through floral prints, abstract geometrics and ombré stripes. Anything catching your eye, folks?
// Harlequin

• Reply Pinecone Camp July 25, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Loving the use of that fabric as curtains! So flipping pretty.

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar July 26, 2012 at 7:35 am

Right? I wouldn't normally gravitate towards floral print fabrics, but there's real freshness about these designs that I like – not at all stuffy.

• Reply Tim July 26, 2012 at 4:03 am

that vibrant blue with white blooms fabric is to die for. … I also love those mini shades, what a perfect way to add drama, whimsy to transform an otherwise traditional chandelier!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar July 26, 2012 at 7:32 am

That's a brilliant idea for a chandelier, Tim. I can see those shades bringing just the right offbeat note to a modern space.

• Reply Rachel {little bits of lovely} July 26, 2012 at 7:15 am

These fabrics are beautiful Will; I really love the blues used in the couch and those lampshades are so whimsical and lovely! xx

• Reply meemers July 26, 2012 at 12:11 pm

EEEEKKKKKKKKKK I LOVE it!!!!!

• Reply EG July 26, 2012 at 3:06 pm

It made me thinking anout the painting “Water Liles” by Claude Monet (1914), very nice the collection and the concept behind it. I'm not sure about the wall painting in the last photo though 🙂
    Thank you for you colourful blog, we need a bit of colour to survive all the minimalism and shabby chic around!

• Reply Katherine July 26, 2012 at 3:07 pm

That lounge is screaming out 'come home to mama'. I love it!

• Reply Charlie Finch July 26, 2012 at 5:24 pm

So artsy. These rooms look like they just came out of a book. I especially fancy the motley coloured pillows stuffed in the cabinet and of course, the fabric.

• Reply Rachie @ A Chi Chi Affair July 26, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Just had a sneak peak and the new collection is lovely! Very much like Zosa – a fun botanical print! xx

• Reply Louise Rea July 26, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Great collection, but I'm going to sound patronising, it's Harlequin, not Harelquin! Sorry sweetie! Lol

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar July 26, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Well spotted – thanks for letting me know! No need to apologise! 🙂

• Reply Yna July 29, 2012 at 5:25 pm

What a great fabric for a sofa. Fantastic. I love it.

• Reply ECLECchic July 30, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Ooh, the fabrics are amazing. A splash of colour is always wellcome!

• Reply Tisha Green July 30, 2012 at 5:52 pm

That sofa is amazing and it really stands out in the picture! What a great idea =) I'm in the process of brightening up my office myself so I am loving this post!