Uncategorized

{Colour Inspiration: Black}

I’ve always found black interiors luxurious and ever since I saw Tim Neve’s stylish home office (post here) I have continually been inspired by the sophisticated look this colour brings to a room. Using black as a scheme’s base colour is certainly brave, however, these images show that it’s not a colour to be afraid of using, rather, it’s one to be embraced. Black acts as a perfect backdrop to bright accents (8, 9 + 10), can often make spaces seem larger (5) and always adds a touch of hotel glamour. Would you go for a black scheme?

• Reply Mariska Meijers April 8, 2010 at 9:33 am

I am a clour girl, but these “black” interiors look very tempting.

• Reply noemozica April 8, 2010 at 9:55 am

I can't stand black furniture, because it's very “dirty” (I mean… if there's dust, you are going to see it all the time!!)… however, I like accents in black, and even walls!! 🙂

• Reply Renee (eatliveshop.com) April 8, 2010 at 11:10 am

i used to avoid any decorating with black because i just wasn't a fan of it but this past year i've grown to love it. i love all of these spaces but that first is OMG!

ps. i'm posting my picture wall with the 'smile' camera print in about an hour 🙂

• Reply atc April 8, 2010 at 12:24 pm

I do think there's something wonderfully decadent about black in a bathroom – it makes me think of the 1920's, Art Deco and F. Scott Fitzgerald…

Love the positive / negative hallway pic, with the black frames on a white wall and white frames on black – such a simple way to make a design statement in a small space!

• Reply shari @ little blue deer April 8, 2010 at 12:53 pm

I. love. black. rooms. I love to see them done well, as they can go terribly, terribly wrong. These are some of the best I've seen!

• Reply Carole April 8, 2010 at 2:57 pm

So sophisticated. Someone famous (can't for the life of me remember who? Anyone?) once said that there should be a touch of black in every room. Pants to that. Oodles of black I say!

• Reply pepd April 9, 2010 at 1:27 am

The black looks good but you have to be sure to balance the rest of the interior. Years ago I painted a dark, dark charcoal gray in a bedroom – walls, ceiling, trim. It looked great but the rest of the house was white – so it was like “step down” into the bedroom. Disorienting but amusing

• Reply Chelsea April 9, 2010 at 2:55 am

have so many of these same images in my inspiration files. I don't think I'll ever get tired of looking at that Jenna Lyons bathroom. Great post and fantastic blog! I'm so glad to have found you!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar April 9, 2010 at 8:49 am

Thanks for all your lovely comments – great to see what you think of black interiors.

Chelsea – Thank you for your kind words – that Jenna Lyons bathroom is a winner everytime!

• Reply ashlina April 14, 2010 at 12:37 am

ooh baby. i loooove these! nice job. black + yellow = sexiness